V. Burbos g. 9, LT-89218 Mažeikiai
Tel. (+370 443) 26 037, fax (+370 443) 25 759
Hours: Tuesday–Saturday, from 10am to 6pm
Established in 1928, the Mažeikiai Museum preserves and exhibits collections of Samogitian archaeology, history, ethnography, and folk art objects. The newest permanent exhibition at the museum is “The Mažeikiai Area: Among the Curonians, the Semigallians, and the Samogitians”, devoted to the history of the ancient Baltic tribes which lived on the territory of the present-day Lithuania and Latvia, and to their cultural heritage. The branches of the Mažeikiai Museum include: the Museum of the Pharmacy, the Museum of the Aviation Pioneer in Lithuania Aleksandras Griškevičius, and the exhibition dedicated to the professors Biržiška (all in Viekšniai), the Memorial Museum of the writer M. Pečkauskaitė Šatrijos Ragana in Židikai, and the Memorial Museum of the sculptor Bronius Pundzius in Pievėnai. Since 2012, an exhibition acquainting visitors with the culture of manors has been on display in the restored 19th-century Renavas manor estate, a branch of the museum.
Each spring, the traditional Art Days of the Vilnius Academy of Arts take place at the Museum.
Church of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
J. Basanavičiaus g. 18, LT-89217 Mažeikiai
The present brick church was built from 1930 to 1936. The project’s author was the famous Lithuanian architect of the interwar period Vytautas Landsbergis-Žemkalnis (1893–1993). The bishop of Telšiai, Justinas Staugaitis, consecrated the church in honour of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Shortly thereafter, in 1943, the new church was decorated by the well-known artist Rimtas Kalpokas (1908–1999). The house of worship was skverely damaged during the Second World War. A sculpture in the church, “Pieta”, has been listed in the Register of Cultural Properties of the Republic of Lithuania.
Church of St Francis of Assisi
Naftininkų g. 13, LT-89119 Mažeikiai
The idea of building a second Catholic church in the city and restoring a parish in the new part of the city arose in 1992. On 12 May 1996, the first Mass was celebrated on the construction site of the new church, on the foundations of the church’s future central altar, and the church’s cornerstone was blessed. On 9 October 2005, as St Francis parish celebrated its 100th anniversary, the new Church of St Francis of Assisi was consecrated.
Eastern Orthodox Church of the Assumption of the Mother of God
Respublikos g. 50, LT-89224 Mažeikiai
Prior to the First World War and during the interwar period, the Russian-speaking part of the population of Mažeikiai carried on an active religious life. During the time when A. Smetona was President, the Russian- speaking community raised funds and, in 1930, began construction of an Eastern Orthodox church in what was then called Independence Street. The Lithuanian government contributed a plot of land and a grant of 5,000 litas. Funds for construction of the church were contributed not only by Orthodox residents of Mažeikiai, but also by rural residents. In the post-war years, the number of believers diminished. After restoration of Lithuania’s independence, the church has again revived.
Evangelical Lutheran Church
Laisvės g. 41, LT-89223 Mažeikiai
By the 19th century, a large number of Latvian Lutherans were living in and around Mažeikiai. The Evangelical Lutheran church was built in Mažeikiai in 1910, under the pastorship of Teodoras Kupferis (1904–1940). During the Second World War, the church was severely damaged. During the Soviet period, the building was repaired and used as a fire station. The building was returned to the Lutherans as a house of worship in 1998.
Site to commemorate the battles for freedom
- In the building at Laisvės g. 1/8 (the present-day municipal government building), a prison for holding political prisoners functioned from 1945 to 1953.
- In the building at J. Basanavičiaus g. 13, the headquarters of the NKVD-MGB operated from 1945 to 1953. The bodies of tortured participants in the battles for freedom were dumped into a well located in the yard.
- In the former Market Square (the present-day Independence Square and athletic field of the Mažeikiai Special-Needs School), from 1945 to 1952 the bodies of participants in the battles for freedom were publicly displayed. A memorial cross was built here in 1993.
- A. Opulskis, S. Barauskas, and H. Jarušauskas, participants in the battles for freedom who died on 23 June 1947 at the Undžienė homestead in Purvėnai village, are buried in a grave marked with an Exile cross in the old cemetery of the city of Mažeikiai.
- In the former Mažeikiai gymnasium (located in Laisvės g.), an anti-Soviet underground organization of pupils, “Rusenantis aukuras” (in English, “Smouldering Altar”), functioned from 1945 to 1949.
- On the outskirts of a forest in the village of Miliai along the Mažeikiai–Viekšniai road, there is a marker in memory of A. Švažas and P. Šiuipys, fighters in the battles for freedom who died on 3 January 1948 in the Miliai forest. A little further, there is a small hill, with walking paths, benches, and a covered bunker (it is best to organise trips in the summertime).